We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Support for carers from Adult Social Care

If the person you care for lives in Stockport, then we can help you to find support to meet your needs. This could be a local carers group, practical support or training to help with your caring role, or activities to help you relax and have a break. You can find out about what support there is to help you by visiting our Support for Carers section or the Marketplace. We can also offer you a carers’ assessment. You are entitled to an assessment in your own right, regardless of the needs of the person(s) you look after.

Click on each box below to expand them and see more information.

About the Carers Assessment

An assessment involves a discussion to find out what help and support is needed and to help you find out what is available.

You are entitled to an assessment in your own right, regardless of the needs of the person(s) you look after. This is a discussion that will look at how caring affects your life, how you can carry on (or resume) doing the things that are important to you and your family, and what might help you with your caring responsibilities. Your wellbeing is at the heart of the assessment. You can have a joint assessment with the person you care for to look at your whole situation, or a separate assessment, if you prefer.

As a result of the carers assessment you may be eligible for some support from us.

Who can have a carer's assessment?

All carers are entitled to an assessment, as long as you are caring for an adult over 18 who lives in Stockport (if they live outside Stockport you need to contact the Local Authority area where they live).

Even if the person you care for doesn't receive support from us, you are still entitled to a separate Carers Assessment.

How much does it cost?

We do not charge for any advice or information for carers. Likewise, we do not charge for the Carers Assessment, or any services that we provide or arrange for carers as a result of the carers assessment. If you get support or services from a voluntary organisation, these are also generally free.

How we decide if you are entitled to support

During the assessment, we will agree your needs, and the things you want to achieve.

In order to receive support from the Council, your needs must meet the national eligibility criteria for carers support. We will consider your needs using these, and when a decision has been made about your eligibility, we will provide you with a copy of the decision.

What are the national eligibility criteria for carers?

If you are a carer (of an adult living in Stockport), your needs are eligible for support if:

    1. they arise as a consequence of providing necessary care for an adult
    2. your physical or mental health is at risk,
    you are unable to achieve one or more of the following outcomes:
         a. carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child;
         b. providing care to any other persons for whom the carer provides care;
         c. maintaining a habitable home environment;
         d. managing and maintaining nutrition;
         e. developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships;
         f. engaging in work, training, education or volunteering;
         g. making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community;
         h. engaging in recreational activities;
    3. as a consequence there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on your well-being.

A carer’s needs are only eligible when they meet all three of these conditions.

What happens next?

Following the assessment we will help you to take the next steps. We will help regardless of whether you are eligible or not, but the help you receive may be different.

If you are eligible for support, we will use the information you gave us during your assessment to work out your personal budget, and to agree your support plan with you.

If your needs do not meet the national eligibility criteria, then we will advise you on ways of meeting or reducing your needs - for example there is lots of support available from local organisations and groups that we can help you find.

What is a personal budget for carers?

If your circumstances meet the eligibility criteria then you will receive a personal budget. A personal budget is a statement that shows the cost of meeting your needs. Your personal budget will form part of your support plan, and this will usually be as a direct payment in the form of a pre-payment card. You will not have to pay anything towards the cost of your support.

You can spend your Personal Budget flexibly on things that meet your eligible needs and outcomes as identified during your assessment.

Below are some examples of things that you could spend your personal budget on:

  • Paying someone to help with everyday tasks such as shopping, gardening or cleaning
  • A holiday or short break
  • Gym membership
  • Equipment, such as a laptop or tablet computer

However, your Personal Budget cannot be used to purchase the following:

  • Care and support for the person you care for (including respite care, residential or nursing care)
  • Anything illegal
  • Anything prohibited by the Council, for example gambling, alcohol, tobacco or paying off debts

What is a carer's support plan?

The support planning process can help you to think about and decide how your needs will be met, and also how your aspirations and things that are important to you can be fulfilled. Your support plan will describe the support this support, how it will work in practice and how much it will cost.

You will receive as much, or as little, help as you need to choose the support you want to meet your agreed outcomes.

We will give you information about the different services and support that are available locally, including free and low cost services from local independent, voluntary and community organisations.

Contact Adult Social Care

For more information, or to request a carer's assessment, please contact Stockport Adult Social Care.

The contact details can be found on the 'Contact us' page

Back to top