Supported Tenancies

What is a Supported Tenancy?

Supported tenancies enable people with physical or learning disabilities, or who have lost some or all of their sight or hearing, to live in their own home. Properties are often adapted to meet the tenants’ needs.

How can I move into a Supported Tenancy?

An assessment is required to determine whether a supported tenancy would be the best move for you. After the assessment, your needs will be identified and agreed with you and we will discuss what support is available.
Your Assessment will provide you with an indicative budget that you will use to meet your assessed needs. Some people choose to pool their indicative budgets together, enabling them to purchase support from provider who can assist them in their supported tenancy.

There are a number of ways this can be done: Some people want the Council to commission the service; other people prefer to select the provider themselves so Council then pay the agreed budget to people directly.

Providers must be registered with CQC to ensure that the quality of the service being provided is appropriately regulated.

Properties are usually found by the provider that you choose to provide your service. They work with Social Landlords to identify suitable properties.

What is the cost of a supported tenancy?

You will be charged for a supported tenancy, but which services you have will determine how much you pay. While some services are free, others carry a charge but you may be able to get help to pay for them. To see if you qualify for any financial help, we will help you to complete a financial assessment form.

These are the main costs associated with supported tenancies and how they will be paid for:

  • You will use your personal budget to pay for the support in your tenancy.
  • You will use your personal benefits to pay for running costs such as utilities, furniture, food, clothes and personal belongings.
  • Housing benefit will pay the cost of the rent to the Landlord. 

Useful links

More about assessments for long term support

Get in touch

Contact the Adult Social Care Team for all referrals and enquiries. We'll talk with you about your needs over the phone. We will then make sure we have all the up-to-date facts regarding your requirements. After this we will visit you to talk about your personal and practical needs and to discuss the help that is available.

Contact us