We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Housing with care – About Sheltered housing

Sheltered Housing is provided by local authorities and housing associations. There are self-contained homes (usually flats) for older people who want to remain independent but have the added security and reassurance of a scheme manager (who is based at the site or visits regularly) and an alarm call service.

Many sheltered housing schemes also have communal lounges, laundry facilities, lifts, door entry systems and specially adapted facilities.

In Stockport there are various schemes offering supported and sheltered housing that is suitable for older people who like to live independently and securely. It also gives them opportunities to socialise and take part in leisure activities, if or when they want to.

The properties are all self-contained one or two-bedroom homes, which include a lounge or bed-sitting room, kitchen and bathroom. Most have a scheme manager who supports residents wherever possible and ensures that the building runs smoothly. In addition, there is an alarm service that residents can use whenever there is an emergency to summon help, which gives them added peace of mind.

Stockport Homes manages the sheltered accommodation that Stockport Council owns. Local Housing Associations or Registered Providers manage other sheltered housing properties in Stockport.

Moving into sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is available to people over the age of 55 or 60, depending on the landlord’s policy. Applications should be made direct to the landlords. Stockport Homes manage the Council’s 8 sheltered schemes and applications are through HOMECHOICE. Stockport homes also manage nominations to vacant housing association properties so it is advisable to register both with the landlord of any scheme you are interested in and also with Homechoice. If you are only interested in Stockport Homes schemes you only need to register with Homechoice.

In sheltered housing the costs will be the rent and service charge costs, plus the usual household bills. Council tax is usually Band A. You may be eligible for Housing and/or council tax benefit and the landlord can explain how to apply.

See the Sheltered Housing Schemes in Stockport

More information about sheltered housing (this is a link to an external website)

NEXT: About Extra Care Housing

Back to top