We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Housing with care - About extra care housing

Extra Care Housing is similar to sheltered housing, with self-contained accommodation and communal facilities for older people. Instead of the low level of support provided in sheltered schemes, higher levels of care and support are provided on site by a designated team of care workers.

The schemes have a manager and trained care staff on site or on call 24/7 to provide any extra care and support that may be needed, residents still have the comfort, security and privacy of their own front door. The schemes are popular and often have waiting lists.

In Stockport, there are Extra Care Housing schemes in Edgeley, Marple, Reddish and Heald Green. 

See the Extra Care Housing schemes in Stockport

More information about extra care housing (this is an external page)

Moving into extra care housing

Who is eligible for Extra Care Housing?

If you live in Stockport you can apply to move into Extra Care Housing, regardless of whether you own your home or are a council or housing association tenant. We will need to do an assessment to work out whether Extra Care Housing will be right for you and that it will meet your needs. During the assessment, your needs will be identified and agreed with you, and then we will discuss what help and support is available.

More information about social care assessments

You can now check if you may be eligible to receive support from Adult Social Care using the online eligibility checker tool.

Try the Eligibility Checker

What is the cost of Extra Care Housing?

The overall cost of living in Extra Care Housing is made up of five elements:

  • The costs to rent your home (unless you are buying it, which is only possible in some housing schemes), payable to the landlord;
  • Normal household bills (electricity, water, council tax etc)
  • Housing service charge – this pays for maintenance of the shared communal facilities;
  • The cost of the emergency alarm, response service and background support provided -payable to Stockport Council;
  • Additional cost of any care that you need; payable to Stockport Council.

Who can get help with the cost?

Those with care needs could be eligible for help with this part of the cost, dependent on income and savings. You may also qualify for Housing Benefit, and could be entitled to an exemption from Council Tax. To see if you qualify, you will need to fill out a financial assessment form. 

More information about paying for residential care

NEXT: About residential and nursing homes

Back to top