Paying for your care yourself

Couple working on finances

You should contact an independent financial adviser to determine the best way you can pay for your own care and support package.
Many of us may eventually require long-term care. This is either in a residential or nursing home or care provided in your own home. So you should consider how you plan to pay for this and spend some time thinking about the following:

  • Your retirement and any plans you may have?
  • If you are an older person, are you considering getting help and support for yourself?
  • What if you require care urgently?
  • Are you a family member, or carer or have Power of Attorney over somebody else’s care?
  • Do you have an adult dependent with physical and/or learning disabilities and want them to be financially provided for when you die?
  • Are you disabled and are planning for your retirement and future?

How is long-term care funded?

You should first look at what choices you have in terms of care provision before considering the financial implications. You need to get as much information and advice as possible to help you make the right decision. You should also look at whether the local authority will help to pay for your choice of care setting.

If you require specialist nursing care you could be entitled to NHS funding, which may cover some or all of the cost. If you think you might be eligible for this you should speak to your GP, social services department or hospital.

Paying for Care website

Paying for Care is a web-based service which provides unbiased financial advice for people who are paying for their own care services. You can talk to financial advisors online and there is also the opportunity to request a telephone call from an expert or to receive an email response.

Visit the website

How can I pay?

You can pay for your care in a number of ways. Below you will find a common pathway to care services:

  • You (and your carers if you have any) will have an assessment of your care needs. This will be carried out by the Council.
  • If the Council agrees that you require additional help and support they will carry out a financial assessment on your savings and income. If you require care in your own home, the threshold at what you will be expected to contribute and what the Council will pay is decided locally. If you need residential or nursing care, the threshold is set nationally.
  • You will receive further information from the Council about how you can meet your care costs and also how you can arrange your care.
  • You can have a benefits assessment. Some benefits are means tested, others are not. If you are under 65 years old you might be eligible to receive Disability Living Allowance or PIPs. If you are over 65 you might be eligible for Attendance Allowance.

You will need to pay for your own care and support if you do not qualify for Council assistance with this. Normally this would be paid for out of your own income or savings. If you require residential or nursing home care, the value of your home will be included in your financial assessment.

You should do as much research as possible before making any decisions about your care. There are many sources of information and advice and before you decide what to do you might consider getting specialist financial advice.

Getting independent financial advice