Paying for your care home

Man shaking hands with woman

Is there a cost for a care home place?

The costs associated with moving into a care home can be quite significant and cause many people to feel anxious or concerned.

Stockport has a number of residential and nursing care homes and the cost for each varies. They all provide different services and have different facilities, which when coupled with your individual care package, means the prices will differ.

To find out how much you will be charged you can speak to the homes directly or contact the Council. We can advise you on how much your share of the cost for staying in a residential or nursing home will be. However, any information provided at this stage is only a rough estimate as many things can affect the final total.

The Council aims to explain any charges thoroughly and to give you clear and transparent information regarding the financial side of social care.

What contribution will I have to make for my stay?

All residents of residential or nursing care homes have to pay a share of the upkeep and running costs of the accommodation, and towards their care. But your contribution depends on your individual circumstances. To work out how much you have to pay, we will assess your finances with you.You can use our online care costs calculator to help to you to get an idea of what your care costs might be based on your income. Follow the link below.

Try the care costs calculator

Is there a cost involved if my stay is brief?

There is a standard weekly charge if your stay is less than 28 days. This charge is dependent on your age. The following is correct as of April 2018:

  • 18-24 years - £61.55 a week;
  • 25-59 years - £76.75 a week;
  • 60+ - £133.10 a week.

You will have to pay the full cost of your stay if:

  • You have savings of more than £23,250, or;
  • You do not wish to provide details of your financial situation.

Is there a cost for nursing care?

If you are in a registered nursing home, the NHS will contribute towards your care. To find out how much they will contribute, call NHS Stockport Clinical Commissioning Group on 0161 426 9900.

But you will need to contribute towards any accommodation and upkeep fees. The amount you have to pay will be worked out as normal and in the majority of cases, even if you get free nursing care, this will not change your own contribution.

Can I get help with the cost?

Possibly. To see if you qualify for any financial help, we will help you to complete a financial assessment form. You can complete this assessment yourself using the online form - Follow the link below.

Financial Assessment Form

This will consider if you receive:

  • Any pensions payments;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Income Support;
  • Universal Credit
  • Any additional social security benefits which you might be entitled to during your stay.

The following will not be counted towards your income:

  • Disability Living Allowance (mobility component) or Personal Independence Payment (mobility component)
  • Some war pensions - the Council will advise you on what is not included

In addition to any income, your savings will also have to be considered so if:

  • You have savings of more than £23,250 you will be required to contribute the full amount towards your care;
  • You have £14,250 - £23,250 in savings, then this will be considered when working out your contribution to pay.

What about if I own my own house?

Your house will not be included in your financial assessment if your stay in the care home is temporary.

If your stay in the care home is to be permanent, then your house will not be included in the financial assessment if:

  • Your spouse or partner continues to live in the property;
  • A family member 60 years old or over continues to live there;
  • A family member less than 60 years old and receives certain types of disability allowances lives in the property;
  • You have a child less than 18 years old and they live in the property;
  • Additional exceptional circumstances apply.

Otherwise, we will take the value of your property into consideration. Please contact us if you have concerns or would like advice and guidance.

More information about paying for your care home if you own property

Links to websites will open in a new window.

Useful leaflets

We have produced a number of leaflets about paying for residential or nursing home care which you can download below:

Paying for residential and nursing home care

Paying for residential and nursing home care if you own a property

Choice of accommodation and top ups

Useful contacts

Stockport Council (Social Care Charges Team)
Address: Second Floor, Stopford House, Piccadilly, Stockport SK1 3XE
Phone: 0161 474 4781