Paying for care at home

House on top of money

What services are available?

One of the main aims of Adult Social Care in Stockport is to ensure as many people as possible can live independently and safely in their own homes. A number of services are available which can help you do this, including:

  • Home care and personal support;
  • Night sitting service;
  • Telecare;
  • Day care services;
  • Extra care housing;
  • Extra care housing, supported response service

The following information is only a guide, in some situations different rules outside of these will be applicable.

Is there a cost involved?

Yes. You will be required to make a contribution to the care you receive. How much you are required to pay will depend upon your personal financial situation. An assessment will be required to determine how much you will need to pay.

What will I be charged?

From 09 April 2018 the charges are as follows:

  • Personal support services or home care – £13.33 an hour;
  • Telecare – £3.59 per week;
  • Day centre (cost for a full day session, including meals) - charges based on the day centre attended, click here to view the latest day centre charges.
  • Care and support in Extra Care Housing (provided by Creative Support) – £12.69 per week

Is help available to meet these costs?

Your contribution to the services you receive depends on your individual circumstances. You can use our online care costs calculator to help to you to get an idea of what your care costs might be based on your income. Follow the link below.

Try the care costs calculator

To see if you qualify for any financial help with the cost of the other services, we will help you to complete a financial assessment form. You can complete this assessment yourself using the online form - Follow the link below.

Financial Assessment Form

The financial assessment will consider if you receive:

  • Pensions;
  • Income Support;
  • Universal Credit;
  • Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Working Tax Credit;
  • The Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit;
  • The care component of the Disability Living Allowance;
  • The daily living part of the Personal Independence Payment (PIPs);
  • Any additional social security benefits.

To calculate your income, these will be added together then a set amount for your living costs will be deducted.

The following will not be counted:

  • Any wage or salary;
  • Mobility Allowance;
  • The mobility component of Disability Living Allowance;
  • The mobility part of PIP;
  • War Disability Pension, War Widows Pension or War Widows Supplementary Pension;
  • Payments to veterans under the War Pension Scheme, excluding Constant Attendance Allowance element
  • The Saving Credits part of Pension Credit.

If you have any savings greater than £23,250 you will have to pay the full amount for the services you receive. If you have savings of between £14,250 and £23,250 this will be considered when working out your contribution. The maximum you will pay for services per week is £326 but most people pay less than this.

How is payment processed?

You will receive a bill every four weeks. You can pay by:

  • Sending a cheque by post;
  • Going to the Post Office or ‘Paypoint’ outlet and using the barcode on our invoice;
  • Using a credit or debit card over the phone or internet;
  • Setting up a standing order.

For further information or advice please contact us.

What about if I own property?

Your home will not be considered towards any financial contribution you have to make and you won’t be asked to sell it to pay for your care charges. If you own other properties or land, the value of these will be taken into consideration.

Useful leaflets

Paying for services provided in the community

Useful contacts

Stockport Council (Social Care Charges Team)
Address: Second Floor, Stopford House, Piccadilly, Stockport SK1 3XE
Phone: 0161 474 4781