Help with walking and getting around

Help with walking

Help with walking

If it’s hard to walk around your home without the support of a walking aid and you would like to use a walking stick or frame, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust's Adult Community Therapy Team may be able to help.

Someone from the Trust will call you at home to do an assessment. They will see what type of walking aid you would need and then show you how to use it.

For people who have a permanent condition preventing their mobility, there is also a Wheelchair Service that provides manual or powered wheelchairs.The Trust also offers short-term loans of wheelchairs.

If you are interested in this service, please contact your nursing team, GP or therapist and ask for a referral to the Adult Community Therapy Team.

Other organisations that offer wheelchairs and scooters

You can borrow wheelchairs and other mobility aids from The Red Cross. Visit the Red Cross Website

You can also borrow a mobility scooter to use around Stockport town centre from Shopmobility. Find out more about Shopmobility

Home adaptations for wheelchairs and mobility scooters

If you are not able to walk easily in or out of your home, Stockport Council will be able to assess you for a ramp. But if you buy a scooter or wheelchair yourself, you will then be expected to pay for your own ramp.

There are also other adaptations to your home that may make it easier for you to move around it safely.

Make an enquiry about an adaptation

Useful contacts

Please note that links to websites will open in a new window.

NHS Stockport (Adult Community Therapy Team)
Address: 9th Floor, Regent House, Heaton Lane, Stockport SK4 1BS
Phone: 0161 426 5700

NHS Stockport (Wheelchair Service)
Address: Unit 8, Hyde Point Ind Estate, Dunkirk Lane, Hyde SK14 4NL
Phone: 0161 335 2820

British Red Cross Society
Address: Marple Medical Loan Centre, 14-16 Derby Way, Marple, Stockport SK6 7AH
Phone: 0161 427 8366
Fax: 020 7562 2000
Minicom: 020 7562 2050