Support with hearing loss

Women talking

Support with hearing loss

If you need help because you have a hearing impairment, are 18 years old or over and live in Stockport, we can help you with:

  • Equipment for your home such as a loud flashing doorbell or TV Loop system to enable you to hear the television more easily without having the volume turned up too high
  • Specialist equipment such as a pager system to alert a deaf parent that their baby is crying
  • Advice and information about managing your hearing loss
  • Advice about smoke detectors attached to flashing lights and vibrating pads for people who are unable to hear a standard smoke alarm, especially at night when hearing aids are likely to have been removed

Equipment for hearing loss

To benefit from the equipment available you must first try a hearing aid and this can be provided by audiology following a referral from your GP. It is also advisable that if you have a hearing aid it is in good working order and that you have had your hearing tested within the last 2 years.

You can choose to purchase equipment privately via a local retailer – you can find a list on our marketplace.

There is also a shop and many other services provided by Walthew House, which is an independent charity in Stockport that provides practical and emotional support to people who are Blind, Visually Impaired, Deaf, Hard of Hearing or who have Dual Sensory Loss.

Alternatively, some equipment and services may be provided if you meet the eligibility criteria following an assessment from an Equipment and Adaptations Officer.

About the assessment

Your assessment will usually take place in your home but we can also do this by telephone if the need is not complex.  During the assessment, we will gather information about your hearing impairment and ask you to tell us or demonstrate any difficulties you may be experiencing.

Alongside support and equipment for your hearing impairment your assessor may also be able to:

  • Provide equipment or adaptations to help with a physical disability
  • Refer you on to other appropriate services such as the Greater Manchester Fire Service, Physiotherapy or Carecall
  • Signpost you to other services which you may find beneficial

Charges for equipment

We will fund some items of equipment. However if you would benefit from equipment that we do not pay for we will direct you to a retailer so you can buy it yourself.

You will be responsible for the care and maintenance of any equipment provided and you will have to purchase and change batteries as required.

Request an assessment

To arrange an assessment for yourself or someone else complete our online referral form.  The information you provide will be screened and the referral will then be placed on a waiting list.

The waiting list can be up to 3 months however we will arrange your assessment more quickly if your situation is urgent. People who may be at significant risk are given the highest priority.

British Sign Language drop in

The Prevention Alliance (TPA) run a weekly Deaf drop-in with signers available to help answer queries every Wednesday between 9.30am and 3.30pm at 45 St Petersgate, Stockport, SK1 1DH.

The sessions run on a ‘first come, first served’ basis so you don’t need to make an appointment. TPA can support you with lots of things like benefits, appointments, letters, housing and health issues.

You can text or e-mail TPA to find out more about the Deaf Duty drop in. TPA can also offer support outside of the drop in times. They also have a text service for sensory impaired people.

Text: 07971 237496
Office phone: 0161 474 1042