What is the Blue Badge scheme?
The Blue Badge (Disabled Persons’ Parking) is a national scheme for disabled people with severe mobility problems. It allows people to park closer to their destination to access services more easily.
The Blue Badge allows holders to park without charge or time limit in otherwise restricted areas, and allows parking on yellow lines for up to three hours (unless a loading ban is in place).
How do you qualify for a Blue Badge?
Some people qualify automatically for a Blue Badge but others may need to have a mobility assessment.
Eligible without assessment
You can get a Blue Badge without an assessment if you meet the following criteria:
- You receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA); or
- Receive 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or
- You are registered blind (severely sight impaired); or
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
- You have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
(NOTE: Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) awards are not included in the Type 1 eligibility criteria).
Eligible subject to mobility assessment
People who may still be eligible for a Blue Badge after further assessment are those who fall within one or both of these descriptions:
- Drives a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter; or
- Has a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
If you apply under one of these criteria you may need to undergo an assessment by an independent mobility assessor who, the Government states, cannot be your own GP. Stockport Council have their own assessors who carry out this assessment. The mobility assessment includes a short walk outdoors.
What about children?
If your child is less than three years old, he or she could be eligible for a Blue Badge if one of the following conditions applies:
- A child who, on account of a condition, must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty;
- A child who, on account of a condition, must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be given.
Is there a charge for a Blue Badge?
Each Blue Badge costs £10.
How to apply
The easiest way is to visit gov.uk using the link below. Here you can check your eligibility, apply for or renew your Blue Badge. You will also be able to track your application.
If you require guidance then please contact Stockport Council’s Blue Badge Team on 0161 474 3422. Age UK can also help you with completing an application form online. Please contact Age UK on 0161 477 1213.
Should you require access to a computer, please visit your local library.
(NOTE: there are other websites offering assistance to apply for your blue badge but they may charge for this service. To avoid paying additional costs, please apply directly through the government portal, using the link above).
What happens after you complete your application?
Applications will normally be processed within 20 working days of receipt of your supporting documents and payment. If your application requires further assessment with a mobility assessor, this could take longer.
If eligible, you will receive a blue badge through the post, with the blue badge scheme rights and responsibilities in England. If you are refused a Blue Badge you will be sent details of the refusal and how to request a review of the decision.
Renewing your Blue Badge
A Renewal reminder will be sent out 3 months prior to the expiration of your blue badge. You have to renew your blue badge by filling in the form on the gov.uk website.
What if I have a complaint?
If you are dissatisfied with how your application has been dealt with you may make a complaint to:
Address: Blue Badge Team
4th Floor Stopford House
Helpline: 0161 474 3422