Appointee services

Woman with learning disabilities with carer

If you need someone to look after your finances and are not in a position to ask friends or family for assistance, you can ask for an Appointee.

In certain circumstances you can make the Council your Appointee, provided you are:

  • In receipt of social services provided by Stockport Council. This includes day care, home care or visits from a support worker;
  • In residential or nursing home care and are in receipt of state benefits.

In the first instance, if you wish to make the Council your Appointee you should speak to your Social Worker as they can then assist you with organising this.

What is the role of an Appointee?

If you make Stockport Council your Appointee, they will receive any benefits you are entitled to and will also pay your bills. They will also open a bank account for you in your name if needed, ensuring you get paid the correct amount in benefits and are paying the right amount for your bills.

Is there a cost involved if I make the Council my Appointee?

There is a cost for making the Council your Appointee. If you have savings, including your current account, of over £1000 the charge is £10.30 per week if you live in the community and £5.15 per week if you live in a Care Home. If you have savings of less than £1000 then the charge is £1 per month.

Can I have an Appointee if I don’t get social care?

If you do not qualify for social care support you can ask a friend or relative to become your Appointee. They will have to apply to the Department of Work and Pensions to do this. Get in touch with them using the contact details below.

Useful contacts

Stockport Council (Client Finance Team)
Address: Second Floor, Stopford House, Piccadilly, Stockport SK1 3XE
Phone: 0161 474 4748

Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
Address: The Pension House, PO BOX15, Chester, CH70 8BG
Phone: 0845 606 0265
Fax: 01925 401 852